Bozeman Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Motorcyclists must watch for various hazards on the road, including other drivers. With their small size and lack of added protection, a motorcycle crash can lead to serious injuries and often deadly results.
Motorcycles do not have the weight or size of a car, truck, or SUV, and yet other drivers tend to act carelessly around them. They may try to tailgate the bike, stop suddenly, or make a turn into the vehicle.
And the worst part of all: the motorcyclist is blamed for the accident. But that is hardly the case.
If you have been injured due to the recklessness or negligence of other drivers on the road, reach out to a Bozeman motorcycle accident lawyer.
At Western Justice Associates, PLLC, we have helped accident victims seek compensation for their medical bills, lost wages, and other out-of-pocket expenses. As a motorcyclist, you have every right to remain safe on the road. When someone crashes into your bike, you are entitled to pursue compensation for your case.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
When a motorcyclist is involved in a crash, the results can be devastating. Many times, the rider is left with debilitating injuries. In the worst-case scenarios, their family searches for answers after an untimely death.
During this time, it is important to know the cause of the accident to determine fault. With that, the legal team can hold liable parties accountable for damages.
Unfortunately, many drivers just don’t see motorcycle riders on the road. Often, these vehicles sit low to the ground and end up in the other driver’s blind spots.
However, that is not an excuse for hitting a motorcyclist. All drivers have a duty of care to watch out for other drivers on the road, whether in a car, an SUV, or on a motorcycle.
Some of the most common causes of these accidents include:
- Other drivers: These vehicles might suddenly stop, speed through a light, take an unexpected turn, or even tailgate the motorcyclist.
- Design and manufacturing defects:Sometimes, a problem with a part of the vehicle could lead to an accident. Other times, the repair shop may have used faulty components on the vehicle. Liability can even extend to the helmet manufacturers if the helmet does not protect the driver during the crash.
- Governmental entities: Local, state, and federal government agencies are responsible for ensuring the road remains safe. These parties could be liable for any accidents if there are excessive potholes, dangerous lane configurations, or other poor conditions.
Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcycle accidents can be extremely dangerous. Due to a motorcycle’s lack of protection, riders are at an increased risk of suffering severe injuries during an accident. The injuries that motorcyclists suffer during an accident can be life-altering, affecting their quality of life significantly.
One of the most common types of injuries that motorcyclists suffer during an accident is contusions. These deep bruises are caused by blunt force trauma to the body. Other injuries may include:
- Concussions occur when the brain is jolted inside the skull, resulting in a loss of consciousness, confusion, and other symptoms.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) are also a danger for motorcyclists involved in an accident. TBIs can cause permanent damage to the brain and can result in long-term disability or death.
- Permanent nerve damage results in chronic pain, numbness, and tingling sensations in various body parts.
- Road rash occurs when the skin is scraped or torn off due to contact with the road, often resulting in scarring and disfigurement.
- Facial lacerations lead to permanent scarring and require extensive reconstructive surgery.
- Bone fractures and joint damage can be excruciating and can take a long time to heal.
In the most extreme situations, disfigurement and amputation are also common injuries. With all the moving parts of the bike near the rider, their limbs can become entangled, often requiring amputation.
What To Do if You’re Involved in an Accident
Being involved in an accident can be stressful and scary. You will want to:
- Check for injuries and seek medical help: If anyone needs medical attention, make sure to call 911. Even if you don’t need immediate assistance, go to a doctor or hospital for a complete examination. Sometimes, injuries will not appear until a few days after the accident.
- Contact law enforcement and get a police report: Whether it is a minor accident or a major crash, you need to contact the police. A police report can help build the foundation for a motorcycle accident claim.
- Exchange information and document the scene: You always want to collect the other driver’s data, such as their name, address, phone number, insurance information, and license plates. You can also take a few photos with your phone to show the damage or potential fault for the accident.
- Reach out to an injury attorney: After all that, contact a qualified motorcycle accident attorney. They can help you take those next steps in the case. Additionally, they can assist with collecting evidence, negotiating with the insurance company, and even pursuing litigation on your behalf.
Find the Right Bozeman Motorcycle Accident Lawyer for Your Case
Motorcycle accidents are serious matters in Montana. If you have been involved in one, you can pursue compensation for medical bills, rehabilitation costs, lost wages, and even pain and suffering.
But you need to take the next steps and contact a Bozeman motorcycle accident lawyer.
At Western Justice Associates, PLLC, we can help with your legal options. Schedule your consultation to find out the best option for you.