Domenic A. Cossi, Esq.
Domenic A. Cossi is a partner at Western Justice Associates. He enjoys helping people and small business owners in their disputes with insurance companies and polluters. Domenic graduated from the University of Montana School of Law in 2010 with High Honors. While in law school, he performed his clinical externship in the chambers of United States District Judge, Honorable Donald W. Molloy. After law school, Domenic clerked for the Honorable N. Randy Smith of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. He is a member of the state and federal bars of the State of Montana and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Domenic has tried multiple cases to verdict and been involved in several multi-million dollar settlements. He particularly enjoys pushing the legal envelope in ways that help Montana consumers and landowners. He has worked on several cases that changed or clarified Montana law, including:
- A Montana Supreme Court decision confirming that landowners have a right to clean up their own land beyond federal standards set under CERCLA.
- A Montana Supreme Court decision clarifying that under products strict liability law, an industry cannot incorporate foreseeable use into a blanket statement that its product is “safe as used.”
- A Montana district court opinion holding that the insurance company for the person responsible for a collision must pay to fix repairs that were not done correctly the first time.
Domenic also holds and has held a variety of community and legal leadership positions:
- President of the Montana Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, June 2016-present
- Chair of the Federal Practice Section of the State Bar, June 2016-present
- Secretary of the Montana Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, 2012-2016
- President-elect of the Gallatin County Bar Association, November 2017-present
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Gallatin County Bar Association, 2016-present
- Member of the Amicus Committee for the Montana Trial Lawyers Association, 2017-present
- Member of the Board of Directors for Bridgercare, 2013-2016
- Member of the Board of Directors for the Environmental Legal Education Network, 2009-2014
- Awarded the New Lawyer Award from the Montana Trial Lawyers Association, 2017
- Named to the American Association for Justice national Board of Governors, Jan. 2018-present
- Member of the American Association for Justice, Montana Trial Lawyers Association, Federal Bar Association, Gallatin County Bar Association
Domenic grew up in the North Woods of Minnesota, where he developed a love for the outdoors. He earned his bachelor’s degree in journalism from the University of Minnesota, graduating summa cum laude in 2001. Domenic worked in advertising and publishing prior to attending law school. He co-founded “Gameday,” an independent program and scorecard sold at Minnesota Twins games. Just prior to entering law school, he was the New Business Development Manager at The Rake Magazine in Minneapolis, MN.
When he is not working, Domenic enjoys spending time with his family. He also enjoys fishing, hunting, mountain biking, and skiing.